Senior Director, Private Label Business DevelopmentApply Job ID JR0057882 Date posted 09/01/2022
McKesson Corporation (NYSE: MCK) is one of the biggest companies in the world, with revenues of more than $214 billion in fiscal year 2019. McKesson is ranked 7th on the 2019 Fortune 500 list. McKesson was founded in 1833, and currently has 78,000+ employees globally. McKesson is an industry leader in:
- Pharmaceutical distribution in North America and Europe
- Medical-surgical distribution to alternate care sites
- Business and clinical services for providers
- Healthcare technology solutions
NorthStar is a leading international supplier of generic pharmaceutical drugs and a wholly owned subsidiary of McKesson Corporation. NorthStar products are manufactured at established facilities that are registered with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). NorthStar manufacture generic drugs in an efficient and cost-effective manner to generate increased savings for its diverse customer base in North America. In 2017, NorthStar started supplying UK customers as part of a European business development strategy. NorthStar customers include:
- Independent Retail Pharmacy Owners across North America
- Long-Term Care Pharmacies
- National Retail Chains in North America
- McKesson Owned Pharmacies in North America and Europe
The NorthStar generics portfolio is broad and continues to meet the wide-ranging, ever-growing needs of its customers. Since launching its first drug in September 2007, NorthStar has grown to become a significant growth driver for McKesson and its global sourcing strategy.
NorthStar is a constituent business of McKesson Global Procurement & Sourcing (MGPS), which is headquartered in London, UK. At end 2018, the own label European operations and commercial procurement functions of McKesson Europe integrated into MGPS to establish a company-wide platform based out of London to achieve purchasing synergies by capitalizing on the global scale and capabilities of both McKesson US and McKesson Europe, as well as develop and drive the private label sourcing strategy for McKesson Corporation.
The Senior Director, Business Development manages the business development function of the NorthStar program, responsible for providing detailed analyses and critical recommendations in business development, operations and strategic planning. This is a key role driving private label growth through product portfolio expansion, developing new supplier relationships, and generating growth strategies for new therapeutic classes and dosage forms. The role also collaborates across a number of stakeholders including business unit channel partners. The role is based in Cork, Ireland or London, UK, and reports to the VP, Private Label New Product Development.
- Build robust product pipeline for the private label. Perform extensive data mining and analysis to identify products which fit the growth strategy. Develop and anchor product selection, strategies, diligence meetings, and business cases along with stakeholders.
- Establish portfolio management system and processes to drive sustainability and value across the pipeline and portfolio. Develop life cycle management strategies for key assets.
- Pipeline Management. Program manage critical assets from selection to launch with cross functional teams, external partners, internal customers, and agencies. Constantly monitor IP, regulatory, market landscape to help make informed decisions about the products.
Analytics and Market Intelligence
- Lead strategy and analysis of new products, new markets, niches, and channels to expand business. In conjunction with senior leadership, develop deep understanding of generic marketplace and growth potential in existing/potential channels. Perform competitive analyses and benchmarking to strengthen strategies, develop portfolio plans, and execute on new growth opportunities
- Oversee and perform analyses in response to competitive market pressures, addressing customer needs, and supporting growth strategies. Ensure scalable and automated tools are in place to drive decisions in real-time. Produce key inputs and assumptions for the long range plan.
- Identify new business partners, develop strategic partnerships, and expand existing partnerships through alliance management techniques.
- Serve as a key interface between private label business team and external supplier community. Develop and build relationships with existing and prospective manufacturers and partners. Attend industry conferences and regular meetings with partner network. Develop and refine private label supplier value proposition.
- Build and continuously improve economic models to evaluate business opportunities including customized product analyses to enable innovative deal structures. Develop deep understanding of McKesson business models. Own and update economic models based on on internal and external data sources.
Leadership and Influence
- Coach and manage team of business development managers and analysts
- Develop executive communications and recommend actions to senior leaders. Produce presentations and executive communications including annual operating budget, insurance underwriter presentations, long range plan strategy presentations, etc.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications/experience:
- 13+ years work experience and 6+ years within management, business development or strategy ideally within the broader healthcare or pharmaceutical manufacturing industries or relevant industry experience
- Strategic Thinking: evaluating industry trends, developing long-term implications and recommending pragmatic strategies for new business opportunities and developing business plans with a strong pro forma
- Analytical Rigor: ability to bring structure to ill-defined problems and intellectual leadership to problem solving; synthesize insights from analysis and ensure credible, actionable recommendations
- Financial Acumen: understanding of financial modeling and experience with financial planning, budgeting and capital allocation in the context of strategic planning, price management to maximize shareholder value
- Communications Skills: ability to develop rapport and credibility across the organization, promote ideas and proposals persuasively
- Healthcare Knowledge (Preferable): strong knowledge of industry stakeholders particularly manufacturer, trends, economic drivers and policy across healthcare. Ability to understand, interpret and educate varying levels in the intricacies of product life-cycles
- Leadership: Experience in building a new team and ideally working across a matrix organization
Bachelors’ degree. MBA preferred, but not essential
Flexible for global travel, where required